Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Asian Wok and Grill

One of my favorite Chinese dishes is Hong Kong Style Crispy Chow Mein. Properly done, the noodles are thin egg noodles that are fried into a wide, flat, crispy birds-nest hunk. A sauced preparation is poured on top (I'd normally select beef, though most anything can be found inclusive of chicken, seafood, and house combos). The most memorable restaurants at which I've eaten this:

  • Hong Kong Flower Lounge (San Francisco and Palo Alto, CA), sadly, I believe this restaurant is no more.
  • Jasmine (Las Vegas, in the Bellagio), and really everything here is quite excellent.
  • Noble Court (Bellevue, WA), in my humble opinion the single best Chinese restaurant in the Seattle area.
My girlfriend recently discovered that Asian Wok and Grill, near Fremont Ave. and 34th St., serves this dish, and so my quality of life has dramatically improved.

Since no entry would be complete without a carnitas reference, let me suggest that the intrepid reader check out El Puerco Lloron, recommended to me by my co-worker Cam, and a worthy purveyor of fine pork and other meat-based dishes. Eat now or be hungry! I found their beans and tortillas to be particularly tasty -- I believe they make their own tortillas, much like Rosita's in Greenlake. It's also in a fun location, right in the middle of the Pike Place Market area, near the waterfront, some furniture shops, and the Seattle Steam Factory (no, really, that's what the side of the building says).

No comments: